Monday 6 September 2010

The end of the journey for some

Well after finishing off at Foz and Iguassu falls we headed to Bonito.  Quite an amazing experience as I managed to snorkel down a crystal clear river where there were fish - they also have some anacondas aswell, but I was 5050 about wanting to meet one of those.  It was an amazing experience getting up close with the fish and some were pretty big.  In the evening I had my first taste of Pirahna soup, and Croc for my mine.  I think I got a taste for it.
Pantanal was the next stop where we stayed on a ranch, went horse riding (yes I was very rusty and saddle sore at the end).  The group share a dorm and slept in hammocks for two nights.  I also went fishing and managed to catch 4 pirahnas - yes you have read that right the ones that eat flesh.  I even mamaged to eat one of the caught Pirahnas which is an amazing experience.The second night we had the second of our fancy dress nights.  The theme was aquatic/marine.  I was dressed as Camp Pirate!!!  The group had plenty to drink but were not as lubricated as last time.  It was a fantastic night with me and Huw being the last stragglers around the camp fire.
Off to Bolivia and Santa Cruz the following.  An overnight train took us on a rickety journey overland to Santa Cruz.  The difference between Bolivia and Brazil is quite obvious and it seems a much poorer country.  It is very interesting to also see the cultural differences.  In Santa Cruz we had a big finale night as some of the group were leaving us.  We went to a club and I managed to find my way on to the pole and showed everyone how it was done. LOL.  The following day we made our tearful goodbyes and seperated.  I am travlling on to Sucre with the crazy Norwegians Julieus, and Simen, my room mate Paul, and Lucy from Leeds.  It was nice as Lucy and Paul are the first people I met in Rio.  The flight into Sucre was a tight turn on to a mountain top so it was interesting, and unbelieably I was not too bad with it.  A couple days in Sucre with some new friends, three Canadians, a German and a new tour guide, JJ.  We are still bumping into our old tour guide Jose and Milton which is also nice as we are having some beers with them later.

2 comments:

  1. It certainly does sound like the journey of a lifetime Ade. You are certainly fiiting a lot in.
    Where are you off to after S America?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog of your exploits, love it, especially the Pirahnas. Can't wait for the Atacama.
    Mum & Dad

    ReplyDelete