Saturday 23 October 2010

6-9th October Buenos Aires

Arrived in BA early from the flight and the hotel were good enough to let me have the room early and so get my head down to rest for a bit.
Once recovered I ventured out and over the next couple of days went to see some of the sights.  First on the list was to turn left and head to see the main government/parliament building.  This was strange as it has been heavily influenced by the US congress building and so looked very very similar.  I  reckon the US might have just dropped the plans off with them.  I wondered down the other end of the road (Plaza DeMayo) to check out the the Cathedral.  This didnt come across as a usual Cathedral (ie: architecture weas not in the usual style) as it looked more like a Roman Temple with pillars at the front.  Inside the remains of the General who achieved independence from Spain are kept guard by two soldiers in smart dress.  Across the square is the Casa Rosada which is a pink building made famous by Evita shouting down from it (the scene Dont cry for me Argentina in the film Evita).  Perhaps the interesting thing about the building is that the colour pink was obtained by a mix of Ox blood and white wash.... 
There were a couple of othere sites of note.  The Cemenerio De La Recoleta, which is the final resting place for Eva Peron (Evita) amongst many other famous Argentinians.  Around the corner from there was a converted El Ateneo Grand Splendid ( http://argentinastravel.com/268/el-ateneo-in-buenos-aires-a-bookstore-to-end-all-bookstores/ ) which is a converted theatre.  I spent a while in there sipping a nice coffee and feeding my addiction to sweet croissants that the Argentinians seem to produce at every opportunity!!
The Cabildo De Buenos Aires was the seat of the Spanish controlled government until 1821 and was a wide front building until they decided to fit some roads around it and knocked 11 arches off the edges of the building.  Think the independence might have been going to their heads as it looks bit wonky now.
On my travels in BA I was asked if I was Italian 3 times - not sure whats going on there??? I also met a Boltonian who lived in Amsterdam for 20 years and had a distinctly weird accent.
I was sad as  I left for the airport as it was the first leg of the trip over and heading to Oz, it was the start of a new adventure, and a long trip to Darwin, via Sydney!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment