Friday 8 October 2010

23rd September - Lares trek

Up and out for 5 am this morning for the start of the Lares trek.  This was an alternative to the Inca trek because there were not enough permits.  Steve got the golden ticket for the Inca trail but Lucy, Andrea and I are all on the Lares.  The Lares apparently is more of a challenge and goes to a higher altitude (I say apparently though as Inca trail has more stone steps).
The bus joureny to the strat was a challenge with logs being placed across soem roadworks to get the bus across, I thought we were going to see the bus stuck in a hole at one point.  Then alighting the bus as we crossed some dodgy landslide on a cliff edge - fun times ahead.
The first incline was meant to be hell but seemed to be OK.  The altitude didnt effect me as I had shoved 50 odd cocoa leaves in my mouth to avoid any effects.
After lunch I had the bit between my teeth and walked into camp first and before the guide and the rest of the group, and well ahead of schedule and the Austrians (Danger Doris and Leo).
Overnight was really cold (below freezing) and it is rare for me to feel that, especially with some thermals on.... bbbbbrrrrrr

No comments:

Post a Comment