Sunday 16 January 2011

21st November - 6th December - Perth/Freemantle

A general consensus was made amongst us all to base ourselves in Freemantle as it was rather chilled and laid back and so Armin, Diana, and I arrived there and had already booked ahead into the YHA hostel.  It was a bit of a shocker on my first night.  The dorm looked like 5 drunk scousers had been scrapping over the last can of Stella in it!!!  The dorm stunk and had my head stuck right next to a window that wouldn't close, and kept hearing conversation from the alley outside where the chef and waiters from the place next door kept having a ciggie break.  The following morning I went to shower and had to guide myself through an array of discarded razor blades (around the sink and in the shower!!).

Went out and explored my way around Freeo catching up with Mark and Amanda and settling into the coffee bar culture.  I was moved to another dorm which transformed from the one last night.  Clean, tidy and very friendly residents.  So I settled in.  Also found a different shower block which was gleaming and did not have an antique collection of razor blades on display.

Bumped into Sandra who I kept bumping into on the way down from Broome so whilst Armin left I still had a couple of friends floating around with Diana and Sandra.  Sandra and I went out for a couple of beers in Little Creatures brewery where I proceeded to try and barter her a husband.  It did end up with her meeting a rather eccentric Kiwi bloke who she seemed to take a shine too!!! He described himself as a Crazy Pirate Nice Gentleman Gangsta... I really cant work that one out for the life of me - but seems a nice fella, and they certainly made a nice couple.  It all seemed to make a lot of sense at the time but we were in a brewery!!!!!

My second day in Freeo though I had some bad news when I chased up Western Exposure to confirm my tour dates to see south of Perth (wave rock etc).  They advised that they would not be running a tour on that date and I could either do another date (conveniently when I was in Adelaide) or have my money back.  I advised them that I would take the money back.  That meant that I would be stuck in Perth as getting a car and travelling the route would have been too expensive so I decided that I would leave that for another time and come back to see that area of Oz.

On Saturday I was floating along the road when I bumped into Charizade who I had met in Coral Bay.  It was her last night in Oz before flying home.  The two of us decided to have a big night out.  My initial plan was to get the last tram back but we carried on partying on until the early hours of the morning and thought we were hardcore wondering back at 6.30am, only to have the wind taken out of our sails when we realised there were still people carrying on beyond then!!!  I had a absolutely fantastic night and will keep in touch.

Whilst out and abouts I also found a plaque in Kings Park - it was of note to me as the Name on it was Mr M Hearty - and I don't think I have ever come across another Hearty who is not related.  Very Bizarre!! Perth is a city which a lot of people miss off when travelling to Oz but I certainly enjoyed it and think I would definitely come back again as there was plenty to see and do.  I left Perth on the train and the little adventure that had started in Darwin had drawn to an end as none of the people I had been with on the way down were there anymore.  So off to meet new (and some old) friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment