Monday 29 November 2010

11-17th November, Coral Bay

Diana, Armin and I arrived in Coral Bay after pretty much a mornings driving from Exmouth.  On route out of Exmouth we went to the local prawn trader, and took some photos of a 12foot prawn attacking us, and other silly scenarios involving a 12 foot prawn.
Coral Bay has a population of 190 so the town pretty much consists of one street on which lies a hostel, a couple of camp sites, a petrol station and small quick-e mart, and a small mall consisting of about 5 shops.  There was of course a bar which I thought we would become well acquainted (I was proven correct over the next couple of days).
Coral Bay is probably best known on the tourist circuit for the coral reef around it and the shark nursery.
A couple of days Armin and I headed down to the shark nursery and was greeted with a couple of shadows moving up and down the beach  in the sea.  Unfortunately there was a distinct lack of fins and Jaws music to accompany the shadows that were trying to look as murky and un-shark like as possible.
Fortunately this was a very minor fly in the ointment which was Coral Bay.  The beach was beautiful and I spent a large amount of time lost in a number of Clive Cussler books whilst I topped up my suncream to ensure I remain the nice pale white everyone knows me for!!!!  Sometimes the suncream made me even more pale than I had started off.  Whilst cooling off in the sea I managed to spy a sting ray and followed it (at a safeish distance).
Some of the divers had managed to meet some new friends and over the next couple of days we got to meet some new friends, Mark and Mandy were on holiday from the channel bays and became good drinking buddies over the next couple of days!! We also met Chris who managed to get the girls into a little groups of gossip girls!!! I also met Christi from Canada who rapidly integrated into our little band of brothers. I was also complimented by Sheherazade as being a typical gentleman (as the Irish guy she had been chatting to 5 mins before had been making lewd comments might have helped with this compliment!!).  I also ran into Sandra who had been in our dorm at Broome and was heading down the coast as a tour guide - managing to embarrass myself by not recognising her initially (taxi for Hearty???)
Perhaps one of the best discoveries in Coral was the bakery (recommended rightly so in Lonely Planet and Rough guide) where a staple lunch diet of Curry Pie followed by Apple and Custard pie was strictly followed.  This also led to the consequence of making sure I did try and maintain a healthy regime of eating out and social drinking in the evenings!!!
Well after such hard work and backbreaking health regimes I have decided that it was too much and we are going to head to Monkey Mia to visit the dolphins!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment